The Bgirl and I were on a mission last sunday we were intent on buying us some snazzy t-shirts that we spotted in the window at the Tractor Bar on our MNO (Mom's Night Out) the evening prior. Is it bad that we dragged our children along filling them up on cupcakes, taking them across busy intersections and down sketchy side streets, a task that would have taken a matter of minutes in my pre-G life? All this to get there and find out the bar is not open yet....so we loiter outside for a few minutes hoping someone might let us in... peering inside the windows, oogling the t-shirts on display, reading the calendar that advertises upcoming bands and letting our kids go for the moment.
"B you've got to go see the Clumsy Lovers, you'll like 'em they're a blue-grass jam band."
Distracted by our mission, the Bgirl and I are oblivious to the fact that we are standing outside a BAR like a couple of junkies with two little guys and what that might look like to the average Joe. Meanwhile , The G and his buddy are taking advantage of this freedom running up and down the sidewalks, free to peer inside steaming sewer grates, to tromp on cigarette butts and half eaten sandwiches.
"It's closedddddd darn," we say again one last time. Inside a band is warming up, the drummer is already banging away. Bgirl and I look inside again hoping to get his attention. No luck. The G's buddy who is really into street signs starts asking ,
"Where is the sign that says 'sorry we're closed' mama?"
"It just is," we tell him. But clearly we've the sent the little guys the message that the Tractor is a place they want to be too because the two boys start pulling at the doors, more like shaking them with the force of a hurricane.
"I wanna go inside, I wanna go inside," they start saying over and over.
"But its time to go little guys," we say.
"No, no, no!"
Let me tell you it must have been a very funny site two mamas dragging away two teary eyed toddlers from the bar screaming,"but I wanna go inside, I want to."
6 comments:
It looks like you and B have had that snazz-up-your-blog-site party without me! Well done you with all your fancy links!
hysterical, then again, I may be bias given I was there..(it was so funny, maybe you had to be there!)
Walking down the main street with no sidewalks was the kicker for me. Sad that the boys pouding on the doors shouting to get in didn't phase me a bit.
My dear girl, you are lucky social services were not around to see such parenting! Where did you take them afterwards? The biker bar for pizza?! You are hilarious. I felt like I was on the streets of Seattle with you not the cobble-stoned roads of sleepy little Adelaide!
You see...I need to hang out with you...That is so something my bff and I would do....All for the love of a bar t-shirt...
hug.
OH! You are SO my kind of mama!
Kids are like sponges: No time like the present to instill all the worst habits.
Post a Comment