"I like your belt," I told her in Spanish. Without even a pause, even a second thought, as though I were her sister and as if it were my birthday, she took off the belt folded it up and handed it to me.
"Please, please have it." We had just met, we were total strangers.
+++++++++++++++
Just a month ago in Puerto Aventuras, I was admiring my cousin Paty's brilliantly flashy shawl, a fabric I found to be so alive with color, it just begs to be danced in.
"Ay Paty me gusta tu camisa," I told her, turning her this way and that way so I could get a good look. She smiled, poured me a glass of wine and then excused herself. A few minutes later she returned to the table wearing another shirt, the one she had on neatly folded up in her hands.
"It's for you," she said.
++++++++++++++++
I just recently finished reading Sonia Nazario's pulitzer prize winning novel, Enrique's Journey, the true story of one Honduran boy's odyssey to reunite with his mother in the States. It is the journey 35,000 children make a year clinging to the tops of freight cars. When Enrique arrives to Veracruz, Mexico after enduring hostile bandits, gangsters and a serious beating. He is comforted by a dozen or more people who come from their houses to meet the train clutching small packages of goodness. One stranger greets him as he is about to board the train, "without a word, the man puts a large sandwhich stuffed with scrambled eggs into his hands." This man lives by the tracks with no running water and a dirt floor.
As Nazario explains, "these are unlikely places for people to be giving food to strangers. A World Bank study in 2000 found that 42.5 percent of Mexico's 100 million people live on $2 or less a day."
I remember in our discussion of this novel at book club, a woman commented, "why is it that the poorest of people are the most generous and that the richer we get the tighter we close our fists?"
Her question haunts me.
I can only promise this that the G will run the streets of Mexico alongside his cousins sucking down ice-cold Joyas and camarones secos, squeezing the key limes between his fingers. In these moments he will be surrounded by the richest of people as my mom always says because he will more than likely meet many Nancys who will teach him that there is no such thing as possession, what's mine, mi amigo, has always been yours.
8 comments:
i like the way you tell this story both through your experiences and that of a little boy in. a reminder to reconsider what brings us joy, is it in the possession, or in the letting go. it is so easy to get attached to objects and suprisingly easy to live without them. something i've learned only through my recent experiences of the past few years. simple, random acts of kindness are the best -- for those on either side of it.
thanks for this entry my friend, thoughtfully written.
That is a sweet story.
It's amazing how such a simple gesture can effortlessly make someone so happy.
Oh, yes. It is truly troubling that generosity is inversely proportional to wealth.
I love the last line of this entry, "what's mine has always been yours," and the idea that generosity can be so second-nature, and easy. May it be so for G, and for all of our children.
Very nice stories. Because they made an impact on you, you will raise your little one accordingly.
Here via Janet. So glad I am.
That was an amazing post!
I'm going to be adding that book to my list right away.
You're going right on my reader now.
What a great point you make!
Love this post!
I also had crispy bangs in high school....I believe the proper term is "Mall Bangs". :)
that's it. I'm officially in love - consider yourself blogrolled
byah!
(courtesy of the overexcited yelp of howard dean)
Post a Comment