Monday, April 30, 2007

Life with the subtitles

The G narrates everything these days, life with the subtitles. A typical G feed sounds something like this..."we are walking to the store, we are taking big steps, mama has her sun-gwasses on, I am wearing my pumas, that man is wearing a hat, that mama is parking her car." Sometimes these moments are full of wonder and awe, "wow he correctly identified a tulip, a daisy." And yeah, yeah I remember what I said in a previous post about how its all in the getting there and appreciating the present moment but then there are days when you really don't want a little voice naming every single thing you do, when you'd rather not identify the color of every car and truck on the street, when you'd rather not stop and chat with every tom, dick and harry. Inevitably, as soon as the G says something to someone they stop and talk. We chatted with a woman about the circles on her hat for at least 5 minutes. A man very kindly stopped to show him his walking cane,"no son that is not a stick it is a cane. See you can hold it." I appreciate their kindness I do and I love the lessons he learns from these little encounters but man somedays just for a few quiet moments I'd like to switch off the subtitles...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, to have a moment of silence would be nice.

BOSSY said...

Yeah, Bossy likes to push Mute on her remote every now and again.

bgirl said...

lol -- i remember drives with the little dude from seattle to anywhere south...he'd memorized the entire route and felt compelled to report it. it was like live stream radio.