"As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world"
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Sana Sana
I can still feel the slam of the pavement the day I fell off my hot wheel . "Sana Sana colita de rana, si no sanas hoy sanaras manana," like a phantom my abuelita was suddenly there smoothing my hair and rocking me with her words, chanting them over and over as though she were casting off a bad spell. I didn't know at the time what the words meant exactly just that they lulled me, that they had the power to stop my sobbing and hold my breath. I heard the news last night about the tragedy at Virginia Tech just as I was putting the G down to sleep, just as I was crawling into his bed ready to sing the last song and so I sang him this one instead, "Sana Sana colita de rana, si no sanas hoy sanaras manana." I sang it over and over again casting it into the goodnight air hoping my abuelita's words would somehow find themselves inside the ears of those who need its healing powers most. "Heal, heal, the tail of the little frog and if you do not heal today, you will heal tomorrow."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i believe your abuelita's words will pass through the universe to those who need them most. such a tragic, unthinkable event. sadly a reminder that now, more than ever, is a time to hold our little frogs close for one more moment.
prayers and peace little frogs
si no sanas hoy sanaras manana
Your abue was one sweet and smart lady!
I know you are gonna laugh at this:
When I was dating an ex-boyfriend (my great love)...his mother used to sing that song to me all the time. I fell in love with it. I hold it in my heart to this day...then I was watching Dora with my daughter a few years back and her mother sang that exact song....wanna talk chills?
I love that song and I don't even speak Spanish but I sing it to my daughter to this day....
Post a Comment