I'm a word junkie and married one too. Oh how the Docta and I enjoy a good word war, a full on quibble about random word origins, definitions, connotations, and so on. So as word enthusiasts we quite easily were sold on the tip we read somewhere that recommends that we parents do not "dumb down" our vocabulary when speaking to our kids. Of course we always knew we'd never call the penis the "pee pee" or the vagina the "vajay jay" but I think over the last 2 and half years we might have taken this advice a bit too far...
Still speckled and ripe with birth canal bruises, the G grunted and groaned as the Docta in his best "goo goo, gaa gaa" voice, taught him this little jingle to remember trigonometry formulas,"some old horse caught another horse taking oats away."
Don't ask me what it stands for I never learned it,
I'm mathematically challenged and hoping these early dad chats are submerging into the G's subconscious and permanently alter any Mathematical DNA damage he might have received from my end.
++++++++++++++++++++
The G will often sing the water cycle song from his favorite book Science Verse..."precipitation evaporation, precipitation, evaporation." Does he know that precipitation is water? Yes and has he tried to used it as a verb when it is raining? Yes."Mama it is precipitationing." Yes G it does that in Seattle.
++++++++++++++++++++++
When "Aunty Jojo," mama's dear friend from San Diego, recently came to visit we took her to the Olympic Sculpture Park.
"I'm so excited to see the Art, how about you G?" she asked him swinging his hand into her own.
"No, I'm not excited. I'm just amused" he replied.
++++++++++++++++++++++
We've been trying to explain the concept of a joke to the G but I don't think he gets it yet...
Aunty Jojo: G you could be a model, you're just gorgeous.
snap, flash, snap flash.
G: I'm not a model, I'm just a joke.
Maybe you're on to something G because you do love a good laugh.
++++++++++++++++++++
In an effort to redirect the G's current obsession with racing cars around the house, the Docta decided to expand his frame of reference and teach him about the engine and how it works. Jiffylube eat your heart out, not only can the kid pick out a spark plug in a line-up but he loves to tell you how it all works ad nauseam.
"The spark plug ignites the gas. The axle turns the wheel. The oil lubricates the piston."
Lubricates... always a fun word and a challenge to try to slip it into polite conversation, *a word dare given to me by the Docta.
++++++++++++++++++++++
G: Mama in this picture I was inside your belly.
Mama: That's right G you grew right here in my belly.
The Docta: G you actually grew inside a special place called the uterus.
A sophisticated word for a two year old but not so great when the little guy pulls up my shirt and pronounces to all onlookers,
"hey, hey that is my mama's uterus."
++++++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. Best words all day....just got my first blog bling from my new favorite read from NYC thanks momomax, you beat me to it. This woman can take you on some fantastic subway adventures and is the design diva.
I also wanna share the love with some rockin' girl bloggers from mi barrio bgirl, she can do it all and her blog radiates this inspiring energy and ally sheer blogging brilliance. Also rockin' out is Janet, I just know it would be a blast to go to a concert with this blogging mama, KC, I look forward to her medical advice mondays a funny and informative writer, Bossy, she makes hilarious phomics (photo comics), and slouching mom always so poignant and honest....add your bling now ladies.
15 comments:
This is hilarious. "no, just amused." And "precipitationing." I love it! I love that you aren't dumbing down words for G. There's nothing better than hearing big words come out of the mouth of a babe, especially when the word is actually understood!
Poor little G man...surrounded by people with smaller vocabularies than his own!! Keep up the good work you guys!
This was hysterical to read.
I think your son and my son would make great friends.
So cute! I love Lane Smith. Congrats on your Rockin' blog!
Hey Mamacita, thanks for the bling bling! And congrats on yours. :)
my favorite G line "you are kidding me".
funny funny, delicious little boy. pretty groovy parents too :)
******************
and thanks for the blog bling...and congrats your well deserved props.
Wheeee....I wish I could take you to a few concerts....Thanks for the love...
Great pictures Mamacita...You totally rock!
You and the Docta are such nerds.....Mr. Mayhem and I would get along with you both so well! (hee-hee)
I love when my kids use large words........it is even more amusing when they use them incorrectly!
I challenge you to use the eloquent words of Oprah in your everyday conversation..." My va-jay-jay be paining!" (hee-hee)
Let me know how that goes!
Muchas gracias, mommy. Tu tambien.
I love that you are infusing the G man with such smart language. Man, we've got serious remedial language over here, possibly due to a) dumbing down oops and b)ignoring certain topics entirely. We have not referred to anything about the vagina and prefer to refer to that whole nether area as "butt".
And what? Bling for me? I'm touched. Thank you! You rock.
Thank you muchly, Mamacita! You are rockin' yourself, and now you've got the bling to prove it.
xxoo
At first I was excited to read your post, then decided that i was also amused.
Loved this!
And love the pick button!
"No, just amused"
Love it.
Congrats on your bling.
And pink goes with everything!!
So funny.
I'm kinda with you on not dumbing down words for kids.
When the twins started to become curious about their genitals I told them the correct names. Hubby wanted to call the vagina "tootie".
So one day when I went to pick up the twins from their care provider's (also my family member)house she asked "Who is Trudy ?" J kept telling me about Trudy all day and I didn't know who she was.
Well I burst out laughing but told hubby he needed to begin using the correct words :)
Nice funny blog. By the way, there is a real word for photo comics: fumetti.
Post a Comment