Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Postcard

In an effort to encourage her father, a lonely widower, to fulfill his life long dream of touring the world, Amelie kidnaps his prized garden gnome and sends him on some fantastic, imaginary adventures which she showcases in a series of postcards that she sends to his home. Amelie's "unusually active imagination" in this film coupled with her secret quest to help others achieve happiness was the inspiration for the Docta's Father's Day gift.
The Backstory: One evening about five years ago, while sipping drinks at a bar in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, the Docta and I fantasized about all the places we would travel together.
"Come on lets write 'em down," I said, flipping over a beer coaster and tipping back my glass. We scribbled down a list recording destinations under two simple headings: "The United States" and "The World."
"We'll check them off the list as we go, filling our passports with the beautiful alphabets of places that we explore," I told him.
"And when kids come along this will not stop us, we will carry them on our backs and hold their hands while we wait for the next train to roll in," the Docta proclaimed.
The Docta has always been my kind of traveler preferring the no itinerary, no map duck into the local hole in the wall kind of adventure. In Prague, we turned circles on the hunt to find a collection of houses inspired by Czech cubism architecture. On the island of Cozumel, he held my hand as the local doc stitched up the inch long slice in my finger, the casualty of trying to hack up a coconut with a half 0pen pen knife. I think we made this list, along with our romantic declaration that we would not let kids slow us down, without thinking about the logistics of such trips. Let's be realistic, part of what appeals to us about many of the places on this list is everything that is not kid friendly. Street vendors are not offering 2% organic milk and bland chicken on the menu. The hotels or hostels we like to frequent will always be buzzing with the chatter of crazy travelers who've just come back from a pub crawl. For this reason, our projected "to visit list" will remain on the fridge in its current state. No check for India whispering of papadums and tikka masala and we have yet to make our reservations for the "Orangutan River Safari" in Indonesia. So no check for you Indo. I know The Docta with his job hunt stresses and research challenges would love nothing more than to pack up our bags and get on a plane to escape for a little while but this is just not happening anytime soon (sigh).
And so instead, I sent the G off, our little traveling garden gnome, on a virutal field trip to scout out the top three places on the Docta's list because if you can't go to Indonesia than Indonesia must come to you.
The first postcard the Docta received in the mail is the G sampling fruit from the Hong Kong market. On the back of the card, the G describes his adventure on Temple street tasting the"lung gnan" or dragon eyes which apparently are a local favorite.


The second postcard that arrived features the G on a beautiful desloate Croatian beach. During my research for this postcard I discovered that many of the beaches along the Adriatic shoreline are very shallow and crystal clear, perfect for the G who loves to wade in to collect rocks and shells. I was hoping the Docta could imagine the two of us sitting in our beach chairs lapping up the salty waves.

I handed the third postcard, which features the G playing his guitar with a group of school kids in Indonesia, to the Docta on the car ride over to a brand new Indonesian restaurant that just opened up in the city. At dinner I took out a piece of paper and a pen and announced,
I
"I think we need to make a new travel list one that more realistically works with kids on our backs, how about the top 4 camping spots you've always wanted to visit with kids list?"
"I know its not Hong Kong" I told him, "But listen to the description in the book, "try Third beach during a storm, when your children can lean their full weight against the wind without falling and watch waves that have come all the way from Japan."
Wind kisses from Japan... sounds good to me.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make that second list even better mamacita so it sustains the three of you! There are still plenty of places to visit with the G man...don't forget the sandy coasts and red deserts and bushlands full of weird animals down under!

Alas, my passport is also very dusty and sad.

Anonymous said...

That's a great post.

I hope you eventually get to all of the places of both of your lists...

Ally said...

The Docta is one lucky man to have such a creative and thoughtful wife. I really relate to this post as we did much traveling before kids and after, not so much. Camping is good. And I'm holding out hope that in a few more years, we can all pack up for Europe again, with kids that don't require a stroller to keep up.

Christine said...

This was amazing! What a romantic and loving father's day gift.

KC said...

So creative and such photoshopping talent! I hope you get to go on some fun family vacations and some fun parents-only trips too. I know vacationing with Jolie is an oxymoron. It's more like Stressing Somewhere Else.

And I loved Amelie! Especially how her dad thought she had a heart disorder.

Stacey said...

I love that you are making a new list and not forgetting the old one altogether !

bgirl said...

since the day i met you, i've been inspired, this post/story is proof as to why.

the journey continues. cheers to you, the docta and G

Team Wilco said...

Hey Monica!

Thanks for the comments! Great to hear from you. You'll be glad to know we visited SLC over President's Day and had a Big Ed's special with Hooipo in honor of our Big Ed's roots. At least 2 people at the table ordered the Gawd Awful.

I'm glad to have found your blog and enjoy reading your adventures. Getting a baby passport has been on my list of things to do for a few months now...

Happy Seattle Times,

Genevieve

J. A. Blackburn said...

what a great idea! way to keep the dream alive...

S said...

Loved this.

If it's any consolation, we took our boys to Amsterdam in the fall, and it went really, really well.

I was shocked. I guess there is a point at which they're old enough to travel.

Girlplustwo said...

they are easier to throw on our backs than we sometimes think...although we scoot off once a year on our own to the more rugged destinations - El Salvador, Cambodia...yum.

glad we found each other because i so dug this post. i have the wanderlust like you would not believe.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

It is funny how kids change our lives! Mr. Mayhem and I were trying to remember what our lives were like before the kids came....and we couldn't! Even though there are some sacrifices, I wouldn't change it for the world!

Love the postcard idea!

Anonymous said...

that was wonderful. I loved the little G man with the banana. so cute and hilarious. You really are an inspiration. I love how you and the Doctah relate.

xoxo

Ms. Skywalker said...

Wind kisses...beautiful.

BOSSY said...

Bossy has Virtual Jet Lag.