If you look up the phrase "Dad Move" in the dictionary in our household it would read something like this: "a spontaneous act committed in the moment, usually one that is primal by nature and bearing no forethought to what potential dangers, emotions and problems lie ahead."
My husband is the master of the Dad move, starting as early as day one when he changed his first diaper in the hospital and the G man's willy sprayed him down like a fireman's hose out of control. Thank God his brother bought him the "pee pee teepee" so he could get that one under control. Kid food and appropriate food portions have also been a science Rupe hasn't quite figured out like the time Rupe called out to me from the kitchen, "Can Griff eat popcorn now?" At the time, mind you, the kid could barely eat a mushed up bannana. There have also been many days when the G man has left the house on a dad outing in nothing more than a t-shirt and pj bottoms in sub zero weather. And than there is the Dad vocabulary that the G man parrots with appropriate emphasis. "Crap" he said the other day when he dropped his sippy cup. "I farted Mama" he now proclaims in opportune moments like at the doctor's office. But of course there is always one Dad move that one ups the last one. Here it is...So the other day the whole family decided to spend the afternoon at the Children's museum.
The G man raced straight to the "pretend store" where kids can carry baskets and go shopping for vegetables, fruits and canned goods. One lucky kid even gets to sit at the pretend cash register and ring kids up. The G man quickly elbowed his way to the prime seat at the cash register and started scanning a random collection of vegetables that a pretty little brunette had placed on his counter. The play store was crowded with kids.. babbling about eggplants and tomatoes, licking plastic ice cream cones and bumping into everything. In this tiny little space, moms and dads stand shoulder to shoulder taking pictures and bending down to help kids fill up grocery baskets. Next to the register is a credit card machine. The G man thinks for a moment and then asks his dad, "Can I have a card Dada?"
"Sure G.. good idea," he tells him playing along. And so Rupe reaches into his wallet but instead of handing him the expired Starbucks coffee card or the Safeway rewards card nobody cares about, he decides to hand him a REAL credit card. At this moment I am totally unaware of what has just transpired, chatting away with another parent outside the store. Within no time I hear crying and screams from inside as another little boy has taken the card out of the G man's hands and is running away with it. Um... now the card is passed off to another little bleeder and all chaos breaks loose. Who gives a kid a REAL credit card, especially in a crowded play area... By the end of it all, a sweating Rupe must pry the card out of the G man's hands holding him down as he screams, "I want it. I want it. I want it." I say nothing.....But I don't have to because the mom next me gives me a wink and announces to the crowd, "that is SUCH a Dad move."
No comments:
Post a Comment