Saturday, September 11, 2010

And Just like that A Life Begins

It was three days before the summer solstice and I was still 3 cm dilated. Still.
The date June 17th was circled in my planner in red, intentionally dramatic.
This has to be THE day. It was Dr. Elena's last day as my doctor and I was determined to to have this baby with her at my side.
So we took action.
Early morning visit to the doc, membranes stripped, a brisk three mile walk with Rupe, a spicy taco lunch.
8 p.m. mild contractions, no baby.
Are you kidding?
I call my sister in law. "Yeah they told me that even though you get your membranes stripped the baby could stay put for another couple days and Sophie didn't come till 8 hours after mine were stripped.So you still have time."
Ok. Good. Reassurance.
Another walk around the block, yoga on the carpet, rotations on our big blue marble of an exercise ball.
Nada.
10 p.m. my mama goes to bed rubbing her hands together in excitement as if it were Christmas eve.
"Try to get some sleep chiquita."
11 p.m. stronger contractions.
Midnight I'm pacing in and out of the moonlit shadows of our living room.
1:30 a.m. contractions 5 minutes apart. It's time.
Car door slams. Fast walking. ER entrance. Elevator to the OB-GYN unit. Laid up on the guerney. Yup, nurse confirms 5 cm dilated. This baby is coming.
WHAT? I only moved two bloody inches!
"If you want to have this baby naturally I can help you do that." The 26 year old nurse assigned to our room says as she wastes no time preparing for birth.
"But I'm going warn you at 7,8, and 9 cm you are going to tell me that you want the epidural but I'm going to help you push through to the next contraction. Ok? You can do this"
Yes. Ok. I say breathing through the next contraction.
I start off in the jacuzzi tub. Warm. No too warm like baked bread. Now too much water. Claustrophobic.
Out and pacing the floor with my gown half open.
Have to keep walking.
Nurse attaches the fetal heart monitor to my bulging abdomen I must stay in this place so she can collect data.
You have to stand still.
But I can't.
I jump up and down shaking my hands like a toddler in a fit.
I rip off the cords and keep moving.
I have to keep moving.
Dr. Elena comes in to say hello and check in. It is a blur at this point, the pain speeding up everyone's voices into fast forward.
I'm here sweetie. You are going to do this. I'll be back.
Sitting on the ball trying to breath myself into a meditative state.
Now the jacuzzi tub. Nope too much again. I'm dripping and slipping on the tile but I must keep walking.
Rupe massages my shoulders, my neck. Holds me when I'm ready to scream
You're only 8 cm you are not ready to push, the nurse says.
Hold it? Are you F-ing crazy? I can't hold it anymore.
He's coming!! I tell her. Get Dr. Elena.
She's delivering another baby right now you need to hold it.
i can't i can't. I want the epidural it's too much I want it.
Lets breath into the next contraction and then if you still want it we can get it ready for you.
You can do this bud, Rupe reassures.
Liars.
I lay on the bed holding myself. I can't hold it. GET THE DOCTOR!
Dr. Elena arrives seconds later still sweating from the labor next door.
Now I'm pushing. 15 minutes of pushing. I push through every contraction and the rests in between.
Rupe and the doctor laugh at my animal determination.
I feel everything.
Every bead of sweat, nerve, vein, pulse, beat.
And then just like that the raging river is released.
He's here champ. She says.
Rupe is full of light cutting the cord, holding this purple little beast.
I'm crying. I'm shaking. It's 6:04 just two hours before quitting time for Dr. Elena
And Zephyr is here. A dreamy birth I had only imagined happened on the Lifetime channel. The coveted extra thick mocha milkshake finally arrives and I raise it in a toast to the G and my parents who burst through the door moments later rushing to hold this big baby bundle. And just like that a life begins.

2 comments:

AussieMel said...

Amazing, a real Discovery channel picture perfect birth! You are my inspiration x

bgirl said...

a good life, a great life begins. cheers to Z.