1. Get decent gear. My sneakers have two big eyed holes in them. My jog bra is from the 80's and i'm not so sure about wearing the Docta's "saggy in all the wrong places" biker shorts. At least it's good to know that some women can make a swim cap look sexy and that ain't me my friends.
2. A 1/2 mile of swimming is a long ass time in the open water when you're gagging on boat wakes, dodging dead fish and kicking away from strangling kelp beds. I felt like that kid in the back seat asking our pacer every five minutes, "are we there yet?"
3. Changing from your swimsuit to biking outfit with only a wrap around towel on a public beach is no easy task. We decided that it best we go commando more because it meant less awkward struggling with underwear then the shame of panty lines in those sexy, biker shorts.
4. Wearing a a wet jogging bra underneath a grey t-shirt could make you look like you've been lactating? Then again, one member of our team was nursing her baby girl in between the swimming and biking. She is officially my hero because when the G was four months old, i was in no shape or form to be riding a bike, let me just say two words Preparation H.
5. Bike chain grease is the new black.
6. 90 minutes of swimming, biking and running is not so bad when you do it with a crowd of hilarious women like my teammates. But the fact that we managed to chit chat through most of our work-out tells you two things: 1) we probably weren't exerting ourselves too hard and 2) we probably won't be making any records on game day.
7. Working out for this long gives you the perfect excuse to order and devour a 2 lb burrito and all the greasy trimmings. It takes me back to my pregnant days when i'd hiss, "hey man back off i'm eating for two now!"
8. Coming up with a team name is a great way to make the time pass. I think "The MILF Shakes" could be a serious contendor. What do you think?
21 comments:
YOU are MY new hero...What a feat!
Best of luck!
And I love the name!
wut? you're a superhero??
that's cool. I've always wanted to know one of your kind. let me just say that I'm totally impressed and in awe. (this is stupid, but which one of the ladies is you?) I've been meaning to ask, because I've seen pics posted before, but have never been certain...)
heh. feeling silly now.
i'm the biker on the far left, helmets are always a good look don't you think?
I love the team name MILF Shakes. Go with it! One tiny thing though, the spelling of triathlon is to be respected. Don't hate me for correcting you on this please. Oh, I would be thrilled if you linked to my triathlon. You're about a month away. I'm thrilled for you and your triathlon. Warning, they're addictive.
dude, you so rock. a triathlon? Amazing! when is the big day? i am so imporessed!
Wow. You rock, lady.
MILF Shakes Rock!
And now when I'm gagging after 10 minutes on the treadmill, I'm so going to think of you for inspiration.
And it's OK, Egan, for correcting her for her spelling error. She won't hate you. She'll just kick your butt with her perfect MILF Shake legs.
If you can't say anything nice....
see you can tell this is my first triathlon 'cause i can't even spell it :) it's all fixed up. thanks egan
Ha, I love that you made the correction.
Okay, let me test my Seattle knowledge: based on those two pictures you included with this post, I'm going to guess they were taken at Seward Park. Am I right?
yes funny thing it was right before the seafair tri..
My husband is a triathlete, and I know the amount of work it takes to train. Hats off to you and the MILF Shakes -- which is ha-stinking-larious btw! I totally cracked up.
Best of luck to you at the Danskin Tri!
Team MILF Shakes!
I love it. And you guys could have a great girl band too.
Absolutely!
The name must be the Milf Shakes. My girlfriend did this triathalon last year. I was in awe of her as I am you.
Good luck!
Damn it I spelled it wrong too.
I meant triathlon.
You are the coolest. Just reading about all this exercise makes me tired. I laughed all the way through this post. :)
you are smoking, mama.
So cool, so last Saturday then? I love the Seafair Triathlon. If you end up enjoying triathlons, you should consider trying it next year. It's the same distance as the Danskin. Seward Park rules.
Amazing. I'm totally in awe. The only way I would ever complete one is if I were in that boat/car that rides ahead of the pack.
you rock sistah.
i love the way you boldly take on new challenges.
my hands will hurt from clapping so loudly for you on the BIG day!
and heh...i like the way jenn got your back :)
Um, wow. You totally rock. I'm feeling like a total loser for eating that brownie 10 minutes ago :). Good luck on your race!
As a swimmer, the posted photo of you in a swim cap is totally endearing.
Post a Comment