Thursday, March 29, 2007

Try this at Home

From the baby monitor, I can hear utter sweetness, the last few words of Rupe reading the book Science Verse, what else would the Docta read to the G... come on now?
.... Meanwhile I'm gettin' the lounge ready...the frantic toy pick up and throw the dinner dishes in the dishwasher reflex that buys us a little togetherness. Next I'm flipping through our massive baggage of CDS for something to play and then I realize that we are soo "old school." Most people our age use their i-pods and are hip on the latest music downloads but our music repertoire is stacked and tossed in plastic, collecting dust in the t.v. cabinet. It makes me realize why my own parent's musical tastes have frozen in time. I start pulling out some forgotten classics from the abyss like Los Orishas and DJ Shadow when Rupe runs down the stairs, almost giddy, "He's asleep."
So.. while most people on our block are finishing up the dinner dishes, surfing the internet and getting ready for bed, the two of us are gettin' our groove on, taking turns as DJ,dancin', sipping home brews and of course remembering the songs that are tied to nights when we didn't have to be so quiet...

2 comments:

Ally said...

I love it! Nice work treasuring those moments when G is tucked in for the night. And just so you don't feel alone, our main music supply still comes from the dusty CDs, too!

Anonymous said...

You guys keep on talking and listening to those "old" CDs together. There's a lot of fun in playing DJ and hurling the cases to the rug once you are done with a particular song. At least I don't do it like Noanie who does the same thing with her vinyl records and wonders why they're all scratched!!